When I was growing up, one of my favorite go-to breakfasts was grabbing a packet of instant apple cinnamon oatmeal, plopping it into a bowl, adding water…and microwaving for a 1 1/2 minutes. Done. I felt that I was eating a much better meal than sugary cereal, cholesterol filled eggs &/or fattening bacon! Whew…..how wrong could I be???
Do you know how much sugar are in those little prepped/easy packets of oatmeal? Well, it’s the 2nd ingredient & we all know the ingredients are listed in order of their amounts…..as well as many other ingredients we don’t need.
WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, SUGAR, DEHYDRATED APPLES (TREATED WITH SODIUM SULFITE TO PROMOTE COLOR RETENTION), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SALT, CINNAMON, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CITRIC ACID, GUAR GUM, MALIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE*, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, FOLIC ACID*, CARAMEL COLOR
……and the sodium? ….As well as not enough protein or fat.
Serving Size 1 Packet (43 g)
Servings Per Container see table
Amount per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 20
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 200mg 8%
Potassium 140mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 4g 14%
Soluble Fiber 1g
I personally want more fat in my breakfasts. This is how we start our day & I want to feel sustained and fueled to get moving and not plummet before my next meal!
Leaving oats behind as I ventured onto a paleo lifestyle, I began to miss my oatmeal – whether it be from this dirty little packet or just plain ol’ slow cooking oats….I missed having a little warm bowl on a cool, crisp morning! I have seen many no-oat meals on my searches for a replacement and have tried many great recipes. I have one on my blog as well ….but the other day, I decided to play around with chia seeds, nuts & I had apples to use – and then this happened. Granted, I haven’t had either slow cooking or instant oatmeal in FOREVER so this definitely fit the bill in terms of a warm apple cinnamon “oatmeal” breakfast. And I can testify, it keeps you sustained & satiated! It’s filled with healthy nuts/fats, chia seeds, flax and protein powder to give you that extra boost of energy and collagen!
I have mentioned many times before, that I am a prepper! I love prepping foods ahead of time to make my rushed mornings a bit easier. I found that you can prep this brekky ahead and keep in jars/air tight containers in fridge and have on hand to scoop out for a quick but healthy and nutritional sound breakfast! Just double the batch and you’re good to go with easy mornings …….or even divvy into smaller containers for a grab-n-go and warm at work. It thickens up in your fridge so you can add a dab of your favorite milk or water to loosen while you warm. Sprinkle a little more cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice before serving.
Fall is approaching – and this would be a delicious way to start your day 🙂
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup finely diced apple
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp protein powder (*optional)I use this
- sprinkle of salt
- In a small pot, warm coconut milk and add chia seeds. Let this sit on low for 10-15 min, stirring occasionally.
- While chia seeds "set", chop your nuts and apple.
- Add diced apple to the pot as well as the almond milk, maple syrup & vanilla. Cook for another 5 min.
- Toss in nuts, flax seeds, cinnamon, *Vital Proteins - if using - and sprinkle of salt. Warm though and serve!
- I use my food chopper to get my nuts & apple evenly chopped - I like mine pretty small but you can leave as bulky and/or get as finely chopped as you'd like.
- Double the batch and have breakfast ready in minutes for busy weekday mornings. Or divide into smaller containers to grab and take along with you to work!