If you’re like me, most recipes come to mind because food needs to be used up! And that’s what happened with these Breakfast Stuffed Bell Peppers. I had bell peppers that needed to be used, as well as some leftover roasted cauliflower and knowing we had dinner plans for that night and the next, I was worried that they’d go to waste if I didn’t try and fit them into our breakfast that morning. I figured stuffed bell peppers would by yummy…..and I’d just crack an egg or 2 in each bell pepper and voila – breakfast in a pepper!
As I started to make these up, I was reminded by a few people/friends on IG that they were doing “egg-less” breakfasts and I decided to make a couple of these up without the eggs. They turned out equally as good! I am thankful that I can eat eggs without any issues because it would be so hard to give up eggs but as I scroll through instagram, I see quite a few posts of egg-less breakfasts due to not being able to tolerate eggs. I realized that not all breakfasts had to consist of eggs! I could certainly eat a well balanced breakfast with greens, proteins and healthy fats without that golden bubble so I’m venturing into new territory with trying to eat/create new morning fuels, without always having to have eggs.
As I mentioned above, these were created on a whim so I only made 4 because that’s what I had but next time I will double and keep a few in the fridge for a quick breakfast another day.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 4 bellpeppers (colored)
- 8 eggs*
- 2 cups cooked spinach or kale
- (about 6 handfuls of spinach or 4 handfuls of kale)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pan, slightly brown & crumble sausage. Transfer sausage to a plate but reserve fat in pan.
- Cut tops off bell peppers and dice what you can from the tops. Clean out the inside of bell peppers.
- Parboil peppers for 3-5 min. You want them bright in color still.
- Add spinach and or kale to the pan with fat reserve (you will need about 6 handfuls of spinach and/or about 4 handfuls of kale) - season with garlic powder & salt. Once it cooks down a bit, add the chopped bell pepper tops & onions to the greens and cook until warmed through.
- In a glass baking dish, stand the bell peppers in it and carefully add the meat/veggie mix just about to the top of each pepper.
- Whisk your eggs in a separate bowl, adding a little salt & pepper to season --- now, carefully take spoonfuls at a time and add to each pepper, evenly divided. It may want to dribble out so I emphasize, slowly add.....and take a fork to poke through the mixture and allow egg to drizzle down into pepper.
- Cover baking dish and bake at 350 for 35 min. Take cover off and bake an additional 10 min.
- *You can make this an egg free breakfast by omitting the eggs! Cook up the same way ...taste is equally delicious!