I had just finished making a big batch of brussel “rice”. I am a veggie girl – I like to have green veggies at every meal so when I pulled out my brussels for dinner, I just didn’t feel like the same ol’ ‘half & roast’ (tho I LOVE them like that!), I wanted to serve them in a different way. So “ricing” them came into mind. I made some asparagus rice a few weeks back and it turned out delish so I figured I couldn’t go wrong with brussels! And I was right.
As much as I liked the brussel rice, I did miss that roasting taste you get from some of those crisped up edges. It got my little mind going as to how I could get a crispiness going with the leftover “rice”. I suddenly thought of people using cauliflower for a pizza crust (which I have made and love) so figured I would give it a try with the brussels. I tossed it in a bowl, added a few other ingredients and hoped for the best!
MMM….mmmm….good! When it came out of the oven, I honestly just wanted to keep picking at it without adding any toppings because it was so tasty BUT I did need to see how toppings would hold up on this crust so I had to stop myself.
When it was done, I plated my hubby’s with larger portions so he used a fork to eat it but I cut mine in 1/2 and was able to pick it up and eat with my hands, like you would a traditional pizza – which of course made me happy because that’s one of the best things about pizza…..eating with your hands 🙂
Obviously this crust is free of grain, gluten and sugar…….AND has the added benefits of a vegetable so you’re not only steering clear of the negatives in traditional pizza crusts, you are adding nutrients to a fun meal, that gives you the feeling of a big splurge! Whether you eat it without toppings, with a fork or with your hands, let me know what you think if you give this a try. I’d love to hear from you 🙂
- 2 cups packed brussel "rice" (1 lb brussel sprouts should work, depending on size)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Flavor God Pizza Seasoning (alternatively: 2 tbsp italian seasoning)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rice the brussel sprouts by using grater attachment on food processor....or use a cheese grater to finely shred/rice the sprouts.
- In a large bowl, measure out 2 cups packed brussel rice and add whisked egg to combine.
- Mix the cashew butter with nutritional yeast in a small bowl and add to the brussel/egg mixture and combine well.
- Add in the rest of the seasonings.
- On a parchment lined baking pan, press mixture into a rectangular or circular shape ...pressing and forming to make a crust about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes .....then top with your favorite toppings and bake an additional 10 minutes.