Who’s new to the Instant Pot craze?? Believe it or not, I’ve had my Instant Pot for over 2 years and have only used it about 10x! The thing is, I love what it can do and am happy with results every time I use it but quite honestly, I was intimidated to even give it a-go. It’s really not as intimidating as it seems and there are lots of instructional blogs out there, on how to use it. I have been finally putting that thing to good use and have to wonder why it’s taken me so long to use it consistently!
While the chill wind is in the air, I will be breaking it out more often than not. It’s perfect for soooo many things but I am loving that I can get soup/stews done in a fraction of the time a slow cooker would allow. If you’re not prepared to get all the ingredients into your crock pot before work, the Instant Pot saves the day! And who doesn’t love a warm bowl of ‘something’ when the sun goes down and the temp drops?
I’m no pro so quite honestly, I have no tips on how to fully use the Instant Pot but as I mentioned, there are many ‘how-tos’ out there! This Chicken Chili Verde recipe was a shot in the dark! I almost made some of the recipe on the stove top then just thought, “Nope. Let’s run with it ….and let it all go in the Instant Pot….” and I was so happy I did because it turned out great – and all done in the Instant Pot. While I used the IP for this recipe, I’m certain it can be done slow cooking all day long!
It’s January and the perfect weather for a warm bowl of soup. I am keeping this soup on hand right now while flu season is in full throttle. It’s filled with lots of flavor and nutrients! But truth be told, I have also grabbed a bowl of leftovers right out of the fridge and ate it cold ….and it was equally as delish! So this would be great in the summer months – on a hot day …all the while, not heating up the house when using your Instant Pot or even the crock pot.
Do you have an Instant Pot and if so, do you use it often or are you still intimidated like I was (and many others) into putting that thing to use? I love quick and easy, so my recipes will hopefully be just that – quick and easy! What’s your favorite thing to make in the Instant Pot?? Go ahead …..I’m listening!
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 2 cups cauliflower rice/crumble
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tomatillo's, peeled and cleaned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded, diced
- 1/2 serrano chili, seeded*, diced
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 3 tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro
- Dash of salt
- Set the Instant Pot to Meat/Stew and add chicken broth, diced onions and chicken thighs. Let it start to boil while you get the other ingredients together.
- Add in tomatillos, jalapeño, serrano chili, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stop Instant Pot, seal lid and switch to manual/ high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Toss in fresh cilantro and using a hand held mixer, whip/mix up all the ingredients - chicken, tomatillos etc, in the Instant Pot. The chicken should be shredded & tomatillos should be soup-like at this point.
- Add in 2 cups of cauliflower rice or crumbles and place lid back on Instant Pot and keep on warm for an additional 10 minutes.
- Top with green onions, additional cilantro and avocado slices!