When I finally decided to make the Chili Verde, I just had to put it into a dish. I had a spaghetti squash to use and I had chicken prepped so this Chicken Verde Spaghetti Squash Bake happened. Whew – that’s a mouth full! 🙂
I didn’t know if I was going to have enough chili verde to make this dish! I just kept munching on it with some plantain chips and would have been completely fine with that but since I had the sauce to use…..and dinner to think about, I opted to stop munching and make this dish.
It came together quickly, especially with the chicken being prepped already. If you read my posts, you’ll notice that I’m a big prepper! I spend a few hours in the kitchen on Sunday, getting some proteins going and prepping veggies so dinner isn’t a hassle during the week. Chicken is usually a for sure thing – whether it be cooked and shredded or some chicken thighs, cooked and ready to go for reheating on a busy weeknight. If you’re not used to prepping, I say start out slowly with just a couple of things – like maybe a chicken and a ground beef. This way, you have 2 proteins ready to throw in a dish throughout the week.
All that being said, this dish will take no time at all if you prep ahead. And it keeps! I had it in the fridge for a few days and threw an egg on it for breakfast one day….as well as having it for dinner again. Speaking of prepping….you can prep this whole meal on a Sunday and have it ready to be sliced, heated and served for weeknight meal. So have at it! 🙂
- 1 whole spaghetti squash - cooked*
- 3 cups diced/shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups Chili Verde (green sauce)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fork the spaghetti squash into a casserole dish, add the cooked/shredded chicken and combine. Sprinkle with the garlic powder & salt.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and add to the squash/chicken casserole dish.....mix thoroughly.
- Pour the chili verde over top of the mixture and shake casserole dish to allow the sauce to seep in.
- Cook for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Drizzle more green sauce on top before serving, if desired.
- *You can cook spaghetti squash ahead of time --- oven method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees, cut squash in 1/2 and take out seeds. Place the squash in baking dish or pan, flesh side down. Pour a little water into bottom of pan - just enough to cover bottom. It will help the squash steam. Cook for 30-40 minutes (this depends on size of squash). When done, let cool a bit and take a fork to scrape out the "spaghetti" strands.
- Crunched for time? You can cook in microwave. Do all of the above but instead of placing on baking dish/pan, place your squash on a large microwave save plate....add a little water to bottom of plate and cook in microwave for 10ish minutes (again, depends on size).
- My times are based on a medium sized squash of about 2-3 pounds.