Does this month seem like it’s just whizzing on by??? Or is it me? I just looked at my calendar and realize that I don’t have many shopping days left! And baking many cookies/candies are one of my favorite things to do…..and who knows when that’s going to happen. It just seems with each year that passes, the next passes by more quickly!
We have already celebrated one (early) Christmas with one part of our family on the 6th. I always come prepared with a couple of sides and a dessert to share so that I know that I’ll be able to have something on my plate, other than just the turkey. There were MANY sides to choose from but thankfully I brought mine along because it would have been truly hard to #keepitpaleo with the offered dishes. For dessert, I brought these cookies along. I had made them to test out the peppermint in the recipe and last minute decided to take them along to our get together.
Well…… these cookies were devoured before dinner was even served! I had to actually grab a couple and hide them so my hubby and I could have a little treat after dinner. I wish I had doubled the batch and made more because when dessert was served, many walked over to the plate of cookies and said, “Oh man, are they gone?” SO! I guess the addition of peppermint was a good idea! You can make these without – which is how I was playing with the recipe with my testing but with the holidays coming up, I decided to add a few drops of Peppermint essential oil and it was definitely a crowd pleaser.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 8 tbsp grass fed butter
- 8 oz (divided into 4 oz) dark chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- *optional 6 drops peppermint essential oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan or double boiler (or microwave) - melt butter with 4 oz. of dark chocolate chips, slowly so you don't burn the chocolate.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt and coconut sugar.
- Add the dark chocolate/butter mixture to your dry ingredients. Mix and then add in eggs, almond butter & vanilla. Add in remaining 4 oz's of chocolate chips. Combine thoroughly.
- Scoop out cookie dough with small scooper and lay on a parchment lined baking sheet. These will spread a little so make sure to leave a bit of room between dough balls.
- Bake at 350 for 10 min. Let cool a few minutes then transfer to wire cooling rack.
- Makes about 38 cookies.
- *These cookies are good with or without the peppermint. So if peppermint isn't your thing, definitely give these a try without it 🙂