When you want a sweet treat and you have nothing but dark chocolate covered almonds on hand – this happens. I mean, don’t get me wrong ….I LOVE dark chocolate covered almonds and have to stop myself from eating a whole package in one sitting but sometimes you want to sink your teeth into a treat vs. popping little balls into your mouth.
Chocolate chip cookies came to mind but no chocolate chips so I decided to chop some chocolate almonds up and give it a whirl! The chocolate covered almonds I had on hand were salted (my fav!) so it was even better in my book because every now and then you get a bit of salt within your sweet cookie bite. And omg — who doesn’t love a sweet & salty combo? Well….maybe you don’t – I guess we all don’t have the same palate but then again, you can just use regular chocolate covered almonds.
I’m not sure what brand of flour you have on hand but I use Anthony’s Goods Almond Flour – Culinary Grade. It’s really hard to top this quality and the texture has been perfect with everything I’ve made. I highly suggest giving it a try if you’re needing to order some or just aren’t sure which brand to check out. There’s a huge difference in texture with baked goods if you’re using almond meal vs. blanched almond flour, so keep that in mind when shopping for your flours.
Well, I must say that these turned out pretty darn good! It was hard to keep from eating them all while warm and on the cooling rack but even after having them stored in the fridge for a couple of days, they are pretty addicting! I liked them warm with cold cashew milk but I’m off work for spring break this week and I grabbed one out of fridge mid morning (I know…..what? A mid morning cookie??!) and had it with my coffee — and yep, good that way too!
How do you like your cookies? Cold? Warm? With a cold or hot drink? I don’t know. Probably too tough to choose as different days/moods will have me choosing a different way. All I know is I do love my paleo treats from time to time and either way, these are going to be kept in my rotation for those days that I might need a little something sweet!
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temp
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 cup dark chocolate almonds (I used salted) - chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt with a whisk.
- In another bowl, add coconut oil (not melted), coconut sugar, egg & vanilla extract and whip together using a hand mixer.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, while mixing.
- Stir in the chocolate covered almonds by hand.
- Using a parchment lined cookie sheet, place dollops of cookie dough about 2 inches apart. I used a small scooper to sit my dough on sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 min. Mine were prefect at 8 minutes but I know some ovens vary 🙂
- Serve with your favorite beverage! I like cashew milk but not gonna lie - these were delish with coffee too!