You may or may not know this – but I’m a chocoholic! I have confessed this many times! I also love ice cream BUT I gave up ice cream many years ago & I needed to find an “imposter” – if you will – as this is my ‘go to’ when I am craving a sweet treat! I shared this Chocolate “Ice Cream” with you quite a while back but I never got around to posting it and with it being so hot in So Cal at the moment, I had to whip this up and realized I should post it so you can all enjoy (and cool off!) before the winter months approach us.
This recipe was originally made up for someone who was looking for a treat without honey, sugar or even maple syrup. They requested xylitol or stevia so I used it to fit their needs ….that being said, you can omit either sweeteners and add in honey or coconut sugar which is stated in notes of recipe.
This definitely fits the bill for those of you who love your dark chocolate and/or ice cream! I get my fix and feel like a cheated …..but don’t feel badly afterward because it’s made with decent ingredients 🙂 I even added some Vital Proteins to my serving tonight to pump up the nutrition!
So without further ado — check out the recipe and have at it!
- 1 can - full fat coconut milk/top,
- thick layer only (chill
- in fridge for a few hours to get
- this effect)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 tbsp almond butter (trust me!)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp xylitol or stevia (and sweetener can be used**)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate almonds with sea salt + more to top each serving*
- pinch of sea salt
- Place a loaf pan into freezer to chill while your get your ingredients together.
- In a blender (I use my ninja), blend the coconut milk with the frozen bananas.
- Once combined, add the almond butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, sweetener & vanilla....blend a bit to incorporate.
- Roughly chop the dark chocolate almonds w/sea salt. Mix in by hand.
- Pour into your chilled loaf pan, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over top and put back into freezer for 90 minutes.
- When ready to eat, let sit for a few minutes on counter to soften -- then scoop away!
- *Top your serving with some chopped dark chocolate almonds.
- **Try honey or coconut sugar if you prefer.
- Add in a tablespoon or 2 of protein powder to pump up the nutrition!