Whew! I could sure go for these Crockpot Carnitas right about now! I have been in full fledged packing mode. Moving is not fun! I don’t know about you but as I pack, I wonder how it is that I accumulate so many things in so little time. We moved a little less than a year ago and purged like crazy before that move AND yet, there’s equally the same amount of belongings to move this time around. How does that happen?
I am pretty excited about being able to work in a bigger kitchen. It’s not huge BUT so much more room than what I’ve got now. I mean, right now I’m basically working in a small walk in closet — no lie. It’s very hard to have even one other person in the kitchen at the same time. The new place has more of an L shaped space and it’s got a peninsula with large counter space that looks into the dining room so it’s just more spacious in appearance by not having walls surrounding the whole kitchen. The claustrophobic in me will totally appreciate the openness soooo much more than what I’ve got now. What’s baffling to me though, is that the cupboard space is much less than what I have now. I guess that’s because of the one less wall/peninsula — I don’t know but what I do know is that, I will make it work! And it’s another way to get me to purge on things that I really don’t need.
Enough of that! I made these easy Crockpot Carnitas last week and this saved me throughout the week of so much packing! I was able to use this a few times throughout the week for meals in different ways which made it so nice & convenient. I’m probably going to get this going on Sunday’s as my work week starts up next week and this will be great to come home to after a long day.
You could easily just pull from the crockpot and put into taco shells or top a salad but I like to lay the shredded meat all on top of a sheet pan and stick under the broiler for a few minutes. This creates a little crispiness and I’m all over that!
I’m sure this would be a great Instant Pot recipe as well. I haven’t tried it yet because I really do appreciate sticking it in the crockpot in the morning and forgetting about it all day …..but it would be nice to know how it would turn out in the IP so if you take a stab at it, please let me know! Enjoy and Happy Eating!
- 2 1/2 lbs pork roast
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced/reserve 1/2 diced onions
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp favorite fat for searing
- Diced onions
- In a cast iron skillet, melt your cooking fat - I used coconut oil.
- Sear all sides of roast about 2-3 min each side.
- Put seared meat into crockpot with broth - season with seasonings and add in 1/2 the diced onions and minced garlic.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred meat in crockpot. If desired, place shredded meat on baking sheet and place under broiler for 5 minutes to crisp the meat up a bit! So good!
- Served in favorite taco shells/lettuce wraps with remaining diced onions, cilantro, squeeze of lime juice and avocado!