How many of you use your crockpot on the regular? I sure do! I am always finding ways to cook while I work or while I play ….either way, it’s such a good feeling to know that dinner will be ready when I get home from my day away. My crockpot is always put to use on Sunday’s. I do a lot of prepping on Sundays and even if I don’t have time to prep all that I’d like to, you can surely bank on the fact that my crockpot will definitely have something in it.
I think one thing that I reeeeaaally love about crockpot cooking, is that you can pretty much throw in a frozen hunk of meat and it’ll be ‘ok’! There have been a handful of times that I didn’t defrost something on Saturday night for my prep on Sundays, and just decided to take my chances and toss a piece of frozen meat in there and it always turns out! And that’s what happened with this flank steak. I had every intention on cooking the steak on my cast iron grill for dinner that night but my hubby asked if I wanted to get out and see a movie and I knew there was no way I would be home in time to cook dinner and eat within a time that I prefer to eat dinner.
It was a ‘fly by the seat of my pants’ kind of toss into the crock and hope that it all turned out. I LOVE flank steak cooked on the BBQ or my cast iron grill but had never even thought to toss it into the crockpot. Walking into the house that night made my mouth water! It smelled amazing — now, just hoping that it all tasted as good as it smelled! AND IT DID! Whew …..relieved that I didn’t waste a nice hunk of meat and even better, it was soooo goooood!
Toss this shredded flank steak into some sort of “shell” for tacos, lay it on a bed of greens or on top of cauliflower rice. Or do a “Coco move” and just eat as is out of a bowl with some avocado!
Again, super easy prep meal for your usual prep day or a dump and go on a weekday morning. Get that crockpot out and give this a-go!
- 1.5 pounds flank steak
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup canned/jarred diced, roasted tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 onion, largely diced or sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Crockpot 6 hours.
- Season meat with all the spices.
- Lay onions on bottom of crockpot and add broth.
- Set the seasoned meat on the onions and add the tomatoes & lime juice to top of steak.
- Cook for 6 hours. Take fork and shred and let sit to let all the flavors/juices trickle into the meat.
- Top off with cilantro and serve with your favorite "taco shells", avocado/guacamole and a few squeezes of fresh lime. Or serve on top of a bed of greens with grilled tri-colored bell peppers/onions and guac. Another option is to top off a mound of cauliflower rice!