Is there anything easier than tossing ingredients into a crockpot and coming home after a long day and having dinner ready? Nope. I think not. Just walking into my delicious smelling house after a day of crockpot cooking sends my taste buds into a frenzy!
We are now in the days of Instant Pot cooking and as much as I love the fact that a crockpot meal can be cooked in a fraction of the time when using the Instant Pot, I must confess that using my crockpot is my preferred method. I love that I can dump everything in and let it go all day without any tending to. Don’t get me wrong – the Instant Pot serves its purpose and I do love how meals can be made so much quicker but there really is something about coming home after being out all day or attending to other chores in the house and having a meal ready to be eaten without having to check in on it or what have you. As much as I love using my crockpot, you do have to think ahead and thaw your meat the night before – BUT not with this recipe!
So you want to dump a meal into your crockpot but you forgot to thaw the meat? Well, I have you covered! This short rib recipe is made for you. I did just that – I wanted dinner ready for us when we got home but didn’t thaw my ribs …..so I decided to give it a try with frozen ribs and I was so pleased with the results! The ribs turned out so tender and flavorful…….the meat fell off the bone. I have actually plopped frozen chicken into the crockpot before and I believe the water released from the meats lend the moisture they need to keep them from getting too tough. I may never go back to defrosting prior to slow cooking!
These ribs were eaten right off the bone with some cauliflower rice but I have also shred them up after cooking and tossed them into lettuce cups, paleo tortillas or shredded right up into the cauli-rice. It’s the easiest recipe you’ll ever make and can be used in many different ways in terms of how you serve it. I’m all for easy-peasy-tasty meals in the slow cooker or Instant Pot — what’s your favorite? Let me know …..and while you’re thinking, have this short rib recipe cooking up in your crockpot!
- 2.5-3 lbs short ribs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients from water down to pepper.
- Wipe down the sides and bottom of crockpot with ghee, butter or fat or choice - and add 1/2 cup water.
- Place short ribs into crockpot. and sprinkle salt & garlic powder on them.
- Pour the sauce over top of ribs and set the crockpot to low/8 hours.
- Serve with cauliflower rice or your favorite side!
- I'm sure the Instant Pot could be used as well - whether you use the slow cooker mode or otherwise but I personally haven't tested. Let me know if you try it using the Instant Pot!