There is nothing more refreshing on a hot summer day than cucumbers – unless that is, you don’t like ’em! But if you do, you will probably agree that cucumber water or chilled cucumbers in salads are perfect on the palate.
I like cucumbers chopped or sliced into salads, I decided to make the salad all about the cucumber and add other ingredients to it. I also opted to spiralize them so it gives the salad a different dimension. It’s doesn’t change the flavor….clearly, but it’s fun to change things up so it seems like a whole new food!
While I was waiting for my spiraled cucumbers to sweat, I quickly made up a Cilantro Lime Dressing to go with. It was seriously the eeeeaassiest thing to whip up and you probably have these things on hand right now. I loved this bright tasting dressing on my Cucumber Salad but I also tossed it into my Chicken Salad the next day and LOVED!
I am thoroughly enjoying my summer and am kind of bummed I have to go back to work on Monday — well, it’s only summer school so I’m off by 12:00 but it’s been so nice doing my thing in the kitchen and/or being out and about and not worrying about the time. I know, I know …not everyone gets the chance to even have part of the summer off but once you get that taste of it, it’s really hard to get back into the groove. I will be making this salad ahead of time so I can have fun with other things when I get off of work. I mention it in the recipe – this simple salad is great on the side of any protein but I think I’ll be adding some diced or shredded chicken to it so it’ll be all ready to eat and I can spend more time dabbling with other recipes OR better yet, hanging out in the sun!
I am hoping to get out and do some paddle boarding for the first time. I am not a good ocean girl. I had a very scary experience back in my teens and I have yet to feel comfortable in the ocean but I got out on hydro bikes this past week and that was a blast so hoping that branching out a bit and facing my fears, will eventually get me back out into the ocean – as in with waves, not just canals and harbors. Maybe that’ll happen before summer is over ….maybe. I hope you all are enjoying your summer! Any tips on stand up paddle boarding, please let me know! I need all the advice & reassurance that I can do it!
- 2 cucumbers, peeled & spiraled
- 12 grape or heirloom tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp finely diced chives or green onions
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (olive oil works)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (no stems)
- 1 lg garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Lay spiraled cucumbers on paper towels and lightly salt. This will draw out moisture.
- While the cucumbers are doing their thing, add almond milk, mayo and avocado oil to immersion blender cup and pulse until incorporated. Add cilantro leaves and blend. You may need to pull out some leaves from the holes of blender stick.
- Add minced garlic, salt & pepper and pulse a few times.
- Pat cucumbers with paper towel to remove excess moisture and salt.
- Place in bowl with tomatoes, avocado and chives. Add dressing and toss.
- Serve along side your favorite protein or add chunks of chicken, shrimp, fish or even beef to the salad!