I’m sure you have seen me post Eggvocado several times on instagram. It’s definitely a go-to around here! It’s easy, can be prepped ahead by having hard boiled eggs on hand and it’s filled with lots of healthy fats, protein and flavor!
I started out making this “mixture” a few years back when my husband was in a crossfit competition. We had planned to stay at a nearby hotel because he had to be at the venue by 7am and the comp site was a couple of hours away. That being said, I wondered how I was going to get some fuel into his system that early without a kitchen! So I prepped some hardboiled eggs ahead of time, grabbed a couple of ripe avocados and some tomatoes.
To our surprise, the hotel had a kitchen-ette! So I ran to the nearest store and grabbed some spinach and bacon. And that’s pretty much how this little breakfast came to fruition. I cooked up the bacon, used the grease to soften the spinach and while that was going on, I decided to mash up the egg and avocado together making it a guacamole with added protein! I didn’t have salt and pepper on hand so I just added some of the bacon grease to the eggvocado mash to give it a little something. Hubby kept going on and on about how good it was so it quickly became breakfast!
I recently started baking my bacon and love the way they turn out. They don’t curl up and get grease all over my stove top! (…..I pretty much hate splattered grease :-/) Of course I always save the drippings from bacon but one morning I decided to plop the kale right on top of the baking sheet of bacon grease and stick it back in the oven. Yay….another easy-peasy way to get breakfast done without a lot of dishes and mess!
- 4 eggs
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or more!)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 2-3 cups chopped kale
- *salsa or diced tomatoes
- Add water & steamer to pot and fill water to just below steamer basket. Bring to boil. Add in eggs, cover and let water rumble for about 10 min. Transfer to ice bath.
- 400 degrees
- Foil lined - 15 min
- Toss 2-3 cups kale on bacon sheet & mix with bacon grease. Sprinkle on garlic powder. Bake 3-5 min (3 = soft and 5 = a little crispy on edges but keep an eye on ....burns easily)
- Mash hard boiled eggs with avocado ...add seasonings (add more or less to taste) You can add a dab of water or paleo mayo if you like it a little creamier & not as chunky.
- *Optional: add in a tbsp of salsa to eggvocado or top with tomatoes.