Hello primal enchiladas! OMG! How I’ve missed these little guys. Enchiladas were a bi-weekly thing in my house when growing up and have made them often when I started cooking but when I gave up corn tortillas, these were sadly a thing of the past….til now!
I made these a few ways since I gave up grains and cheese and to be honest, I’m perfectly fine with eating cheese-less enchiladas so I do make a few without cheese. However, my daughter is a cheese enchilada kind of girl so I buy kerrygold cheese to please her…..oh and the hubby too!
And then of course there is the tortilla! What will hold up to the sauce and not fall apart? I’ve used Stupid Easy Paleo Tortilla recipe – which is amazing and worked out perfectly (and I’m sure I’ll be using many more times!) but when I made up my sweet potato tortillas, enchiladas and taquitos came to mind! And both meals came out delish!
The enchilada sauce was hard because I love the way my mom’s tasted and all she used was the canned sauce from the grocery store but it was all I knew and missed that flavor. The sauce I made is good but doesn’t taste quite like the sauce I was familiar with. But like all meals that I’ve tweaked, it is still YUMMY and I will eventually get used to a new and improved (healthier) flavor!
Anyway, I’ll stop babbling and let you check out the recipe! 🙂
- 6 sweet potato tortillas **
- 3 cups of cooked, shredded protein (chicken, beef, pork)
- 2 cups enchilada sauce *
- 2 cups +1 cup (this cup will be topping the enchiladas) shredded kerrygold cheese
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- *Enchilada Sauce = SIDES:sauces/dips
- **Sweet Potato Tortillas = SIDES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized baking dish, take about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce and cover the bottom of dish.
- On a dinner plate, add sauce to cover - you will be dipping each side of your tortilla in this.
- Take one tortilla, dip each side of tortilla in sauce on plate, to cover.
- Lay on baking dish and add roughly: 1/3 cup of shredded cheese, 1/3 cup meat, sprinkle of diced onions & a tbsp of sauce, just off center of tortilla.
- Take the side of tortilla with the filling and roll over to cover, keeping the ends of tortilla tucked & toward bottom of dish.
- Continue method with remaining tortillas/filling.
- Once all are assembled, drizzle a couple tbsp's of sauce over each enchilada, add remaining cup of cheese over top, as well as the olives & green onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes - just to melt cheese. Warm extra sauce to top off before serving, if desired.
- Top with chopped cilantro --- eat!
- ** any tortilla will do!
- * any sauce will do!