I was a Taco Bell junkie for mannnny years! Not only did I think it was good, it was so cheap! My friend and I used to ride our bikes and get a bean burrito with extra onions and extra sauce! It was our weekly routine, along with Swensen’s ice cream afterward. As I got older, I ventured out with their menu and not before long, the nachos bell grande was all I craved! I LOVED it. Once I had kids, that would be our little spot on Friday night because again, cheap and I could get my fix!
Well, I haven’t had Taco Bell in probably 10 years. It’s been a really long while! I don’t really miss it but I do like to try and create some of the favs here at home. I have made nachos without cheese using Siete Foods chips BUT that cheesy sauce is really what got me drooling. And while I do appreciate real melted cheese, I can’t always tolerate it so I feel like this sauce is perfect for my needs!
SO! Here I’ve got some “cheesy” sauce that I whipped up and doused some jicama fries ….with of course, all the other nacho fixings. I was pretty happy with the results! I really didn’t want to share – nor did I want to stop eating it! So ya, that sheet pan was pretty much all mine (shhh…don’t tell the fam!)
You’ll find the recipe for the jicama fries and the sauce here. I did make the meat up the day before. I tossed some sirloin tip into my crockpot and that’s what I used for these nachos but I am looking forward to using some ground beef too! So grab your favorite protein and prep ahead so you have it all ready to top off these “cheesy” jicama fries!
- 1 medium jicama, peeled & cut into fries
- 1+ tbsp light flavored olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp - 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt (desired taste)
- 1/2 lb. ground or shredded cooked protein (I used a sirloin tip cooked in crockpot from the day before)
- 1/2 cup/handful finely shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup "cheesy" sauce
- 2 tbsp diced green onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 8-10 grape tomatoes, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- Guacamole (there's never too much!)
- Squeeze of lime
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
- On a microwave safe plate, add 3 tbsp water and place jicama slices on plate and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove from microwave and let sit to cool for a few minutes.
- Swipe light flavored olive oil onto large baking sheet. Set the jicama fries out onto sheet and sprinkle all ingredients listed, along with olive oil -- then toss around with hands to combine.
- Spread jicama fries into a single layer and bake at 420 degrees for 30 minutes, turning about 1/2 way through.
- Place all ingredients into blender and blend away until smooth. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add your protein to top of jicama fries and drizzle with the "cheesy" sauce.
- Sprinkle on the shredded cabbage, green onion, tomatoes and cilantro leaves. Toss on olives too!
- Put on a dollop or two of guacamole and give the whole thing a squeeze of fresh lime!
- These are my favorite toppings and what I had on hand. ALWAYS do you! Change it up with your favs or add more of what you see here. Make it your own 🙂