Don’t you love the combination of lemons and raspberries? I do! And I had both of them to use up…..so these Lemon-Raspberry Muffins happened! They are grain free, gluten free and refined sugar free so that makes them all the better, in my opinion.
As you join me on this blogging journey, you will see that I will post paleo treats from time to time. Hey….we’re all human and we all need a little ‘somethin-somethin’ now & again. I honestly stick to my #foodwithapurpose tagline about 99% of the time. My family and friends pretty much beg me to eat something “not good for me” quite often – like a donut, an ice cream cone, a piece of cake….or even a bite of nachos from Taco Bell – but I don’t give in. It’s not that I am too stubborn or trying to prove something, it’s because I honestly don’t have the desire AND I don’t trust how I’ll feel afterward. It just doesn’t even make sense for me to partake when I honestly don’t want it. All that being said, I do have a sweet tooth and like my dark chocolate ….and like to make a healthier version of muffins/treats.
Of course with all treats, whether it be a healthier version or not, it should be in moderation. Just because this muffin isn’t listed with 42 ingredients that we can’t pronounce, have grains, gluten or gmo’s, we don’t want this to be a staple in our diets. We eat to fuel and this doesn’t really have much of a purpose in fueling our body — it’s considered a treat. I feel that I fuel my body properly most of the time so having something like this once in a while is a-o-k in my book. And since I allow these paleo treats into my diet, I believe that is why I never have the urge to give into the splurges that my friends try to get me to give in to.
So there ya go! I’ll stop babbling now …..and let you check out the recipe. I personally love the light and refreshing flavors in these muffins. The lemon flavor is so subtle but brightens up the muffins so you know it’s there 🙂
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 eggs
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with (parchment) muffin liners or grease tin with coconut oil.
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add coconut oil and honey to dry ingredients - mix well.
- Add in eggs, mix...then zest and juice of lemon.
- Once combined, fold in raspberries.
- Scoop batter and fill cupcake liners to about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, turning pan 1/2 way through baking time.
- I sliced a few raspberries to top them off with as well as grinding some coconut flakes in my coffee grinder to sprinkle on top 🙂