Can you believe I went to New York and didn’t grab a piece of pizza??? All I heard before I left was, “you need to get some pizza while there ….” and yet, I never did. It just seemed that my daughter and I had so many other things on the agenda that pizza just never happened. I did get some gluten free pizza the day after I got back from our trip because I was honestly craving it since it was planted in my head! It was amazingly good — and I don’t know if it was really ‘that good‘ or if it was simply because I was “tasting” it for over a week in my mind!
As I prepared meals for the week and shopped for groceries, I couldn’t get pizza off the brain. I decided to opt for a meat “crust” and feel good about not over doing a good thing. I usually make a paleo crust or buy gluten free but I figured I might as well steer clear if I could and so this Meatza happened. I was pretty happy with it and didn’t feel at all bad with indulging in this “pizza”. My husband took it to work a couple of days and each day came home with, “Omg. That meatza is so good! When will you make it again?” SO! I figured I’d get it up on the blog and share with you all.
Clearly the toppings are suggestions because we all have our favs but I do jot them down in the recipe as well. The meat crust is a combination of (spicy) Italian sausage and ground turkey but again, use your favorite ground meat. I love the spicy kick the sausage gives and with the seasonings added, you almost don’t need toppings at all.
I think I might even make a couple of sheets of this and cut up into smaller squares to serve at a super bowl party! Why not?? It can be a fun little appetizer if you space out the toppings to fit the square sizes you’ll be cutting it into.
Next time you’re craving pizza, give this recipe a try. It’ll give you all the good pizza feels without the grains/gluten etc. that you’re traditional pizza has! And lots more protein in this version!
- 1 lb Italian sausage (I used spicy)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup paleo approved pasta or pizza sauce
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4+ cup goat cheese and/or favorite shredded cheese
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine sausage with your ground meat. Add seasonings and whisked eggs - incorporate.
- Using a 9x13 rimmed baking pan, place meat mixture in center and smooth out to outer edges. I take the meat and push up the sides of rim as well (the meat will shrink up a bit).
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out of oven and drain excess grease from pan/meat.
- Spread your favorite pasta or pizza sauce onto meat and top with your favorite veggies. Bake another 12-15 minutes until veggies are at desired doneness. Or if using cheese, until cheese has melted.
- Add fresh basil once out of the oven. Let sit about 5 minutes before cutting into.