Who doesn’t love #tacotuesday? I loved taco’s growing up and growing up in a Mexican household, taco’s happened a lot! My mom used to make homemade tortillas with my grandma but more often than not, we just had corn tortillas fried up in oil and shaped into shells. And sometimes, mom would fry up flour tortillas and make our taco’s…..omg….those were my fave! I do remember friends having taco’s with those premade shells that came out of a box and I was like, “What?!? That’s not how taco shells are made!”
When going “paleo”, we all know it’s hard to recreate our taco shells we might have grown up with BUT with the help of great recipes like Stupid Easy Paleo’s Simple Paleo Tortilla‘s, we can indulge in our fond love of taco’s again! If you haven’t tried her recipe, I suggest you do. It’s super easy and so good. You could eat them just the way they are made up OR you can fry them up further, to make a crunchier shell. I like ’em both ways so it’s really just about the mood I’m in as to which method I use.
For these little bowls you see here, I was in the mood for a twist on my taco (shell). I used SEP Simple Paleo Tortilla recipe ….but instead of taking the batch of tortillas and frying up into taco shells, I used my muffin tin and pressed these tortillas into the rounds and made bowls. Of course the size of tortilla needs to be modified to fit into the muffin tin so I used an egg round that I picked up at TJ MAxx. I have 2 so I just made up 2 at a time. Biscuit molds are another great tool to use for this method.
I’m not gonna lie, these do take a few minutes longer than a traditional taco but they are fun and easy to eat! I had leftover taco bowls so I stored in fridge and reheated for breakfast with some eggs/spianch/sausage stuffed into them and they were delish! They weren’t quite as crunchy as freshly made but equally as good and a fun breakfast the next day.
If you want to make this a little easier on yourself, prep the mini tortillas ahead of time and just cook up the bowls the night of your meal. I have saved her tortillas in the fridge for a few days without any problems so maybe whip up a batch on Sunday prep day and make the bowls up for a fun Taco Tuesday! Let me know if you give these little guys a whirl! I’d love to hear what you fill them with too …the possibilities are endless 🙂
- Mini Taco Bowls
- Stupid Easy Paleo Tortillas
- 1 lb ground protein
- 1 tbsp favorite taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Coconut or avocado oil
- 1 cup guacamole (1 avocado, mashed)
- 2 tbsp hot roasted salsa (-/+)
- handful of chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- Preheat oven to 405 degrees.
- Cook up your ground protein in a pan using your favorite taco seasonings. Break apart meat and continue tossing/crumbling until browned ....about 10 minutes.
- Wipe a little coconut or avocado oil to grease small pan. Using medium-high heat, heat pan.
- Make up tortilla batter using Stupid Easy Paleo Tortilla recipe. Using a biscuit mold or round egg mold, drop in about 1 1/2 tbsp tortilla batter into round mold, sitting on hot pan. Flip after about 1-2 min and cook another minute on opposite side. Continue this method using up remaining batter. Makes about 8-10 mini tortillas.
- Gently press these mini tortillas into a muffin tin. Bake in 405 degree oven for 10 min.
- While in oven, dice up your onions, chop cilantro and make guacamole ---- my easiest guac yet is this: one avocado mashed, tbsp water ...continue mashing and add s&p to taste. Add 2 tbsp hot roasted salsa and mix. Done 🙂 (more or else salsa, depending on how much heat you like).
- Fill each taco bowl with a couple of tbsp ground protein, a dollop of guacamole and sprinkled with red onions and cilantro! Squeeze a little lime across you bowls if desired. Or make it use own & use your own favorite taco fillings!!