Who needs an excuse to whip up a sweet treat? I sure don’t but it’s always nice to “put the blame” on a birthday or event to indulge on a treat! I thought these crepes would make a sweet little gift to yourself or your love for Valentine’s Day.
My daughter loves crepes! I will admit, I didn’t have a crepe til about 3 years ago. My daughter would order a crepe if offered when dining out but it never occurred to me to ask for a bite …..it just didn’t appeal to me for some reason. One day, she had to do an assignment for her French class and we had to eat at a French restaurant – of course crepes were on the menu and of course, being the “clean eater” that I am, I passed on dessert BUT this time, I took a bite of my daughters! She ordered one for dessert with dark chocolate, nutella (yes…both!) and strawberries. It had a sprinkle of powdered sugar too. OMG. It was so good. I started suggesting how it could be even better – by adding a nut butter (which she doesn’t like) or bananas (which she doesn’t like) and changing up the crepe itself by “paleo-fying” it. She is looking at me like, “OK, whatever mom….you’re crazy! Just have another bite!”
Clearly years have passed and I didn’t try making up a paleo crepe but about a month ago, I made some paleo tortillas and I didn’t pour enough batter into the pan so it was quite thin and ‘crepe like’. So with that, I was reminded of crepes and decided to play around with ingredients and fill with my favorite nut butter and drizzle with dark chocolate! Super easy and fit the bill! I made one for my daughter as well (minus the almond butter) and she really liked it so I feel like that gave me the thumbs up if you will, to post the recipe.
Fill these baby’s up with whatever your heart contents …..you can even grind up some coconut flakes in your coffee grinder and mimic powdered sugar or make ’em savory and melt some grass fed cheese (if you can tolerate) and top with salsa! But with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I say take advantage of the “put the blame on” holiday and make it a treat to eat with your favorite loved one!
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp melted ghee (cooled)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup room temp water
- Sprinkle of salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl ....whisking til there are no lumps and runny.
- Using a small frying pan, place over medium flame and let it warm up.
- Hold frying pan in one hand and slowly pour batter into center of pan, tilting pan in every direction to get the batter to cover bottom of pan. You want this to cover but not be too thick so again....slowly pour until you see the pan bottom is covered, then stop pouring.
- Let the batter sit in pan for 2 minutes then flip with soft spatula (or even fingers) and cook up on the other side for another 1-2 minutes or so.
- Makes up about 8 crepes - depending on size of pan and thickness.
- Serve with a *sweet or **savory filling!
- *almond butter, bananas, berries, melted chocolate, coconut....
- **avocado (guacamole), babaganoush, eggs, pesto, cheese, chicken salad....