I don’t know how these bloggers do it! I have (and had) blog posts sitting in my drafts section waiting to be posted….and I honestly forget about them :-/ I recently posted my Chocolate “Ice Cream” w/Dark Chocolate Almonds & Sea Salt and that had been sitting there even longer than this Pear Crumble! I tease it on IG and hope that I get the recipe up soon but inevitably end up posting more recent recipes while these others just hang out and end up being forgotten. I saw this crumble when I searched for my “ice cream” recipe as our hot So Cal days lately, called for a frozen treat ASAP! And of course, this crumble – like the frozen treat – would have been a great post for a summer BBQ dessert and/or 4th of July treat but oh well….it’s here now and still delicious no matter what time of year.
When I made this long, long ago, I was craving an apple crumble but no apples in the house and instead of running out and grabbing some, I decided to use up some pears I had. My hubby couldn’t stop picking at it! He ended up taking it along to his friends house who had people over to watch “some sports game” (or it could have been Game of Thrones…..I don’t remember) but anyway, he said they all devoured it in minutes. It made me smile to hear that they all loved it as these particular friends are dessert fiends 🙂 They are the ones who always have to have a yummy dessert after dinner and I don’t mean a piece of a dark chocolate …..we’re talking cheesecake, crème brûlée or one of those ice cream sundaes served over a warm brownie with lots of whipped cream! So you can imagine when I heard that they stood over the crumble and devoured it, I knew it was a good thing.
I made this a couple of times in a spring form pan but I also just tossed into a baking dish when I was crunched for time and just scooped out servings, rather than slicing into it and both ways work….and are equally as good!
It calls for pumpkin pie spice so it does fit right in line with #allthingspumpkin & with Thanksgiving in the near future, this would be a nice treat on the dessert table. Happy baking!
- 2 pears, peeled & diced
- 9 tbsp butter/room temp
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp hazelnut meal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- sprinkle of salt
- butter or coconut oil for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cold butter
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees.
- Peel and dice the pears into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine pears, eggs, butter, almond milk.
- In another bowl, mix together the coconut sugar, flours, baking powder, pie spice and salt. Add to pear mixture & combine - I use my hands sometimes.
- Using a greased round spring form pan, pour the pear filling into it and give it a little shake to even out. You may also just use a baking dish and scoop out crumble, rather than cutting into slices.
- Mix your crumble ingredients together, using fingers to incorporate - sprinkle on top of the pear filling.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Let the crumble rest and cool completely if using spring form before removing the edges of pan. If using a baking dish, cool for 30 minutes before diving in!
- Top with some coconut whip and/or your favorite paleo frozen treat! I have a chocolate chip "ice cream" in the dessert section that would be yum.....just omit the chocolate chips and you have a vanilla frozen treat to make this à la mode!