It’s a Saturday morning and nothing sounded better to me than some fluffy pancakes and coffee! As I shuffled through my pantry and noticed that I was pretty much down to a 1/2 cup of cassava flour and NO almond flour what-s0-ever, I got a little sad. You know how it is — you get something in your mind and there’s just no changing it. Well, that’s how I felt that morning and I wasn’t going to settle for eggs and bacon (though I’m usually a huge savory breakfast lover) so I started playing with my coconut flour.
Not gonna lie — it used to be very hard for me to swallow coconut flour ….and I don’t mean that literally but anytime I baked anything with coconut flour, I just didn’t care for the taste. In all honesty, I didn’t like the flavor of coconut until about 2-3 years ago and slowly grew into liking it because I wanted to incorporate coconut oil into my diet. It grew on me slowly but now I love coconut and it’s flavor!
While dabbling around with the recipe and noticing that it needed a little more substance in the batter, I opted to add Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides instead of sprinkling a little more coconut flour into the mix. I don’t know about you but I love getting that collagen in, any way I can! I add the gelatin to my coffee each morning but I do try and sneak it into recipes wherever I can. Theres’ virtually no flavor at all in these proteins so it’s super easy to add without changing flavor or results, all the while adding some great benefits – especially when you’re opting for something like a pancake for breakfast! (This isn’t a promoted post…I just love the stuff!) You can read about the benefits and why you should incorporate it into your diet, here.
I made it more fun by adding some chocolate chips and a dollop of coconut whip! I use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips but you can use any chip you like — preferably dark chocolate so you can feel good about the addition because of the antioxidants. If I use dark chocolate, I use 85% or higher….but that’s just me. I really like dark! I don’t usually find chips with that high of cocoa percentage so I will just cut up a bar or something.
These will be a good weekend treat so check out the recipe and make sure you have what you need. The kids will devour these up as well and not even realized they are getting in some protein, healthy fats and antioxidants! (Shhh….don’t tell them either :P)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cup coconut flour
- 1 scoop vital proteins collagen peptides
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cashew milk (to keep it nut free, sub coconut milk)
- 4 eggs
- 2 heaping tbsp melted, but cooled coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sweetener (I used stevia granules)
- 1/4 cup enjoy life chocolate chips
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cashew (or coconut milk) together. Add in the cooled melted coconut oil and combine. If using a liquid sweetener as in honey or pure maple syrup, add in now.
- In a small bowl, add coconut flour, collagen proteins and baking powder and mix well. If you're using a dry sweetener, add to this mix and incorporate. Slowly whisk this into your liquid ingredients/bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
- On a preheated griddle pan, add a dollop of about 1/3 cup of batter to pan and let cook up about 4ish minutes or until you see bubbles forming on top. Gently flip pancake to other side and cook another 3-4 minutes. This varies on the thickness of your pancake so just keep an eye on it and/or take one off the griddle and test the doneness.
- Serve with pure maple syrup, coconut whip or your favorite berries!