If you read my blog post ‘12 Tips to a Healthy Holiday Season‘ (a couple of blog posts back), you will understand why I am sharing this simple recipe at this time.
We all have get togethers this time of year and most of us have a hard time sticking to our goals because of all of the traditional foods that are on the table. Let’s be real – the savory foods are one thing but then we have to try and sift through the dessert table! And I have a sweet tooth so I definitely need to make sure I’m satisfied with my dinner ….then of course bring along my own desserts to share as well. It’s pretty clear in my family (and it seems universal) that we all get through dinner so we can quickly clear up the table to make room for all the desserts! Am I right?
First things first — let’s set ourselves up to somewhat give us a head start on sticking to goals and/or lifestyle of eating. It’s not a bad thing if you want to partake in foods you don’t normally eat but if you’re really hoping to stay on track, bring along a side dish that would accompany a protein being served by the host. This dish would be fine on its own without the added ground beef BUT sometimes it’s a good idea to make sure a protein is incorporated into your potluck contribution to ensure that you are fueling with all the nutrients you like to consume. This really applies to any potluck, not just the holidays but we all know that guarding yourself against some of the foods this time of year, that are ladened with creamy sauces, sugars or cheese is a good idea if you’re not ready to dive into those food choices at this time.
I LOVE to roast my veggies! This brussel and carrot recipe is super easy and again, a great side to make on its own…..but making it a meal with an added protein is an added bonus to keep it satiating and since it’s a scoop’n’serve kind of meal, it makes it easy to take along in one dish! Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place brussels and carrots on baking sheet. Season with 1/2 amounts of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle the melted ghee or brown butter on veggies and toss. Spread evenly in single layer on pan.
- Put into preheated 450 degree oven on middle and cook for 30 minutes. Flip/turn every 10ish minutes.
- While veggies are in oven, brown your ground beef in a large pan** with the remaining seasonings and red pepper flakes. Break up and cook until cooked through.
- When veggies are done, take a spatula and carefully add to the meat pan, tossing to combine. Spoon and serve from pan or put into a beautiful bowl and serve.
- *Give or take, depending on your spice likes!
- **Large enough to add the veggies to the meat to toss through and combine