Let’s talk about pumpkin. So we all know the fall season brings on so many great recipes with pumpkin – both sweet and savory but did you know that these orange “squashes” are good for the heart? I love the flavor but it’s a bonus when you know that adding it in to some of your recipes you already know and love, just give it the extra health benefit that we all could use.
There’s vitamin C, fiber and potassium in pumpkin and those alone support a healthy heart but the seeds contain phytosterols that have been known to lower LDL (bad cholesterol). That is enough reason for me to roast the seeds after carving those pumpkins! The fiber will help satiate you and can possibly aid in weight loss if you’re looking to shed a few pounds and then there’s the benefit of Vitamin C which can help boost the immune system when all those winter colds start making their way around. So what better time to plop in some pumpkin into your recipes??? When you need that extra boost of vitamin C annnnnd when the pounds kinda/sorta start sneaking up on us with all the holiday festivities that surround us that time of year.
I’ve got you covered with this recipe! This Spaghetti Squash w/Pumpkin Meat Sauce is much the same as any other BUT there’s an added bonus of pumpkin! We devoured this up! And in case you missed it, I just posted an Instant Pot recipe for Pumpkin Chili and have gotten quite a few thumbs up on that already so head over and check that out if you haven’t already.
I would LOVE to know how you might be incorporating pumpkin into recipes so please — leave comments and fill me in! I am working on a sweet treat as we speak that I will be sharing soon…..and yes, it involves pumpkin 🙂 I’m just waiting to be able to wear my boots and sweaters – how about you? Well, enjoy this recipe and don’t forget – let me know how you’re using pumpkin this time of year!
- 1 med-large spaghetti squash
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Basil for garnish
- Cook spaghetti squash with your favorite method* (see below for my methods)
- While squash is cooking and/or cooling off, add sausage to a large pan and brown/crumble.
- Once sausage is nearly cooked, add onions to slightly cook up - then add in the pasta sauce, pumpkin, stir ....and add in all the spices.
- Let this cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once squash is cooled enough to handle, shred the "spaghetti" with a fork and plate, ladling the meat sauce on top of spaghetti squash.
- Top off with fresh basil if desired.
- *Cut squash in half and seed.
- Roast: preheat oven to 425 degrees - wipe the flesh of squash with olive oil, place squash flesh side down on baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- Microwave: place squash skin side down, on plate with a few tablespoons of water - microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Each method will require you to check the tenderness of the strands of squash when done, by using a fork and scraping them. Depending on size of squash the times may vary by a few minutes. I like my strands soft but with a little bite and not mushy but we all have our own preferences so adjust accordingly.