Squash! Who knew that I’d end up loving every kind of squash there is, when I didn’t even care for zucchini growing up?!? Acorn squash is definitely a favorite…especially when you stuff it!
I am all for eating this cute little thing by itself. You can roast it just like this and leave out the stuffing or slice and roast and it’s a great side. And for me, the squash has great flavor so when I eat it as a side, I roast it with a little ghee, brown butter or olive oil and simply season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
When I decide to have a stuffed acorn squash, I prep ahead. Why not? Let’s make it easier on ourselves the night of – especially if it’s a busy weeknight. My prep days are Sunday’s so I usually have quite a few things going – something in the oven, on the stove and in the crockpot! So ahead of time – cut, seed and roast the squash for just 1/2 the cooking time. Cook up the ground beef (or whatever protein you’d like to use) on the stove top so it’s ready to go the night of with add-ons and a warm up. Cool & seal these items and store in fridge til you’re ready to use 🙂
There are many things to stuff this beauty with so feel free to change it up and share your creations with me! I’d love to hear them and get new ideas. Pick up an acorn squash next time you’re out and give this a try — fall foods are in the air…. YAY!
- 1 Acorn Squash**
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp ghee
- sea salt
- 1.5 lb grass fed ground beef**
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup paleo approved pasta sauce (I used Gina Rispoli "Arrabbiata" flavor)
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/4 cup cooked, chopped broccoli (this was leftover from the night before)
- 2 tbsp green onions
- *another add-in
- Cut acorn squash in half & spoon out seeds. Slice a tiny end off the outside of squash so they lay flat.
- Lay each 1/2 on baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or brush on some ghee or olive oil to prevent sticking), flesh side down.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25min (take out, cool & store in fridge if prepping ahead)
- Turn over and sprinkle 1+ tsp garlic powder and add 1 tbsp ghee to each half - brush a little ghee on sides and top part of squash & sprinkle a little sea salt and bake another 25 min.
- Stuff with your fav stuffing!
- Brown ground beef and seasonings (this can be done ahead of time)
- Add tomatoes, pasta sauce, hot sauce, chopped broccoli (and veggie works...or no veggie at all)
- Mix and warm. Stuff acorn squash and garnish with green onions.
- (If you prepped the squash ahead/cooked 1/2 cooking time, cook the additional 25 min at this time - adding ghee etc - & add the warm meat mixture to the the last 10 minutes of squash baking).
- *1/2 cup packed cauliflower rice
- **There will be a leftover meat for another meal -- or just make 2 acorn squashes to serve 4!