This has got to be the quickest recipe I’ve made AND posted ever! This morning, I decided to stuff some mushrooms with a sweet potato I made last night and didn’t end up eating. But then thought ….. ‘Hmmmm, bacon would be good with it too! And what about a little goat cheese?’ And these were born.
These fun little bites will be an awesome side dish but I’m thinking Super Bowl Sunday, right?!? They are a great appetizer addition for any get togethers you might have. They are great cold as well. I just walked in from working out and I grabbed one as I went to shower and realized that IF they last that long, they can certainly be eaten after they’re cooled down.
I won’t keep babbling because I really do want to get this recipe up so you can all grab what you need in case you’re wanting to make these for you Super Bowl party!
- 2 8oz packs cremini mushrooms
- 1 med-large baked* sweet potato
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 3 pieces of bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp sliced green onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in pan and reserve bacon grease. Let bacon cool to chop.
- Peel skin off of cooked sweet potato* and mash with fork (if it's a precooked potato, slightly warm after mashing with fork so the goat cheese will melt into the potato better). Add goat cheese to combine. Then add minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle in most of the chopped bacon - leaving a little to sprinkle on top after baking, as well as with green onions. Mix well.
- Take stems off of mushrooms - (you can chop and add stems to the sweet potato "mash" or leave out. I left out to use another way). Gently spoon any residual from cap to make a cup for the mash. Toss the mushroom caps in with the reserved bacon grease to coat.
- On a parchment (just for the ease of clean up) lined baking sheet, lay mushrooms caps down with hollowed side down. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes.
- Take caps out and carefully turn over. Using a 1 tsp measuring spoon, scoop mash into each cap. You can use a piping bag as well.
- Place back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining bacon bits and green onions.
- *Poke sweet potato with a fork a few times. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Or wrap in paper towel & microwave for 8 minutes. I take skin off for this recipe.