This – like many of my other recipes – happened on a whim. If you have been following my blog or instagram posts, you know that I like to use everything up! So when theres a sweet potato that hasn’t been eaten after being cooked the night before, I figure how to get it into my next days meal(s) so it doesn’t go to waste. While I like to use up my food, I also like to switch up the way I used it so it seems like an entirely new meal!
This “pancake” could be made for dinner too! Take the whole, ‘breakfast for dinner’ (brinner) to another level. It’s easy and quick, especially if your potato is cooked up ahead of time. Perhaps make an additional sweet potato when making them at another time so it’s all ready to go for these Sweet Potato & Chorizo Pancakes. Of course, if you don’t have one prepped it’s certainly an easy make just before whipping these up.
I use chorizo but any sausage or even ground beef would work! For me, the chorizo is a perfect combination with the sweetness of the potato but certainly any seasoned ground meat will do. These will freeze fine too so you can always make these on your prep day and freeze for a quick warm up on a rushed morning. (check notes in recipe for freezing info)
Do you guys like to use up your leftovers? Do you repurpose it? I don’t mind leftovers at all but I do like to change it up a bit when I can. What’s your favorite way to repurpose a food item? I would love to hear from you!
- Cook chorizo in cast iron skillet & reserve the grease.
- Mix cooked sweet potato with 2 eggs and 1/2 lb cooked chorizo. Season.
- Heat the grease from chorizo in cast iron skillet on medium/high flame. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the "pancake batter" and lay on heated pan, flattening a little to even out. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Cook up about 3-4 minutes on one side, carefully turning and cooking another 3-4 minutes on other side.
- Makes about 5 "pancakes". Double recipe for more 🙂
- These freeze well. I put a small piece of parchment paper in between each "pancake" so I can pull out one at a time.