It was a Tuesday….and I know that because all I could think of was, ‘It’s taco Tuesday – I should make something “taco-ey”!’ And while I gathered my ingredients for some sort of taco, I realized I didn’t have plantain chips and/or my fav Jillz Crackers! Ugh. I was definitely craving a little crunch but just wasn’t in the mood to run off to the store and grab something. So! I tossed my ground beef in the pan to start cooking up, then started dabbling with some ingredients to make, what I thought or hoped would be – grain/gluten free tortilla chips! If you saw my post a couple of weeks back, I posted the recipe on these Paleo Pita Crisps and as you can see by the name, they turned out to be more like pita chips than tortilla chips — which was a-o-k by me as I used to love pita chips!
Okay — onto the subject of the taco salad —> Since I spent some time making the crips, I got a little behind on my salad so I just started tossing things in the pan with the ground beef and it ended up being a one pot meal that was delish and nutritious! It’s super easy and I feel silly even posting a recipe on it but I had a few people ask if the salad was on the blog.
I also wanted to point out that nutritious meals don’t have to be something you slave at for hours or have many complicated or hard to find ingredients. Just a few things that you probably already have on hand can make up a delicious meal in minutes & not only fill that tummy but fuel you with #foodwithapurpose. And what’s better than to get it all in one pan? Right?!? The less dishes the better — and for some reason, when I know I don’t have to spend the next 45 minutes cleaning up the kitchen from a meal I ate in 10 minutes, the food tastes even better! (I know, it’s all in my head — but you know what I mean! Who dreads the clean up after eating? But who enjoys the meal more when there isn’t much clean up?? ME!!!)
So let me see your taco salads and/or pita crisps on the next Taco Tuesday! If you’re on instagram, tag me!!!
- 1 lb grassed ground beef
- 1 cup cauliflower crumbles
- 1/2 15oz can of diced tomatoes*
- 2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Paleo Pita Crisps
- Heat beef in large pan, crumbling as it cooks.
- Once it's just about cooked, sprinkle the beef with s&p and adobo seasoning. Add cauliflower crumbles, mix and cook 5 more minutes.
- Toss in the diced tomatoes and warm through.
- Serve in bowl with cabbage, cilantro, green onions and avocado slices. Use paleo chips to scoop or break apart and sprinkle on top of salad.
- *Use your leftover 1/2 can diced tomatoes for breakfast - makes a great omelette or frittata! Never let anything go to waste. Toss some cilantro & green onions too!
- Also, the cauliflower crumbles are easy to make in your food processor BUT you can also buy a bag of crumbles at Trader Joes or some grocery stores 🙂