These twice baked sweet potatoes definitely happened on a whim. I kinda wanted to make some sweet potato skins and I was a little too hungry to play around and experiment. I decided to just give the potato skins a try when I was dabbling around in the kitchen instead of when I was actually cooking dinner and needing to eat!
Although the skins didn’t happen as originally set out to try, I tried to mimic what I would have done and add some bacon and green onions ….as well as some mushrooms! Of course potato skins are usually made with cheese, so I did add a bit of Kerrygold Cheese to a few. If you can handle cheese, I would definitely add the cheese but if you can’t, they were still delicious without it! I’ll admit, they were definitely addicting and will be a rotating meal or side in this house!
I think these would also make a great breakfast — you can certainly prep these ahead and warm the morning of……and plop an egg on top! OMG….the yummy, runny yolk dripping into the potato sounds amazing right now. I’m kinda getting hungry! Hmmm… I think I have the ingredients now that I think about it — maybe this breakfast is about to take place!!! Ok …..sooooo…..
……..I’ll be heading into the kitchen now so you go ahead and check out the recipe and see if you have these things on hand and if so, go make it! You’ll be happy you did!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp melted ghee
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional: 4 tbsp kerrygold cheese
- Oven 425degrees/45-50min
- +10 minutes
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- (Cut off any small/thin ends)
- Brush melted ghee on each side of potato and lay skin side down onto baking sheet - sprinkle with garlic powder, pinch of salt & pepper.
- Place on middle oven rack in oven at 425 for 45-50 min.
- While potatoes are in oven, cook bacon in large pan and let cool when done ....keeping bacon grease in pan.
- Add chopped mushrooms to bacon grease and cook til tender. Let sit in pan.
- Carefully spoon out flesh of potatoes, leaving skins aside when done. Add the potato flesh to the mushrooms in pan and combine on low heat.
- Spoon the potato/mushroom mixture into skins, top with 1 tbsp kerrygold cheese if using and place back into oven for 5 minutes.
- At 5min mark, add chopped bacon to top of potatoes and bake another 5 minutes.
- When done, plate and add the sliced green onions.