If you follow me on instagram, you know that I have a sweet tooth. I find it easy to curb it with just a piece of dark chocolate or believe it or not, just baking the sweet treats satisfies me! I don’t need to partake, I just bake and the yumminess coming from the oven is enough to curb that craving. Don’t get me wrong — I have to test taste and see if they’re even “pass-off-able” (my new word) to my family and maybe on occasion, I’ll eat a cookie with almond milk or coffee but I do see these as a treat and not something that I eat a lot of.
That being said, I see nothing wrong with an occasional treat, especially if you’re one to grab cookies from aisle 5 at the grocery store. I’m not here to judge anyone that does grab a treat from that grocery aisle or grabs brownies/cupcakes from the nearest bakery BUT if you could have the same fulfillment with a grain & gluten free treat, made without processed sugar and extra ingredients that absolutely don’t have to be there, then why not make ones that are a bit “healthier”, if you will? And to take it a step further, these are nut free for those that have nut allergies!
I made these chocolate chip cookies with my favorite new flour – Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour! It’s made from cassava root, otherwise known as yuca and the flour is just that – 100% yuca and water….nothing else! The flour has been great for many things ….breading fish, chicken, tortilla’s, pizza crust and bread!
I am also playing around with a brownie recipe that I’ll post when I get it down! It can pretty much be substituted 1:1 for regular flour so even if you aren’t one to make up your own recipes, just sub it out with recipes you already have in your recipe box!
Well……go on — go check out the recipe and give these a try. If you need to order the flour, click here —–> Otto’s Natural’s Cassava Flour and while your there, you can read more about their product and why it’s my choice in flour these days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, coconut sugar and salt.
- In a small bowl combine egg, room temp ghee or butter and vanilla....once combined, add to dry ingredients and mix in well.
- Add in chocolate chips and incorporate.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, drop small rounds onto sheet. I use my mini scooper, otherwise it will be about a large tablespoon in size. They do not spread so lightly pat down a bit.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool on cooling rack.
- I make my cookies on the smaller side so portions are controlled 🙂