I must confess. I used to hate chicken thighs…..and chicken legs for that matter. I actually don’t like using the word ‘hate’ but honestly, I didn’t like them at all! Dark meat just tasted to gamey to me. I was a breast girl. And not only was I a white meat only eater, I used to take my skin off too! (for shame!) It wasn’t until about a year ago that I gave thighs/legs another try and I gradually became a huge fan! So now, “I’m a leg girl” and I NEVER skin my chicken …….it’s all or nothing!
It’s been fun making legs and thighs because all I did with the breast was take the skin off, debone and lightly season with garlic, S & P – then broil ….done. Don’t get me wrong, I still find myself making chicken breast from time to time because I do still like the flavor and it really is an easy make, shred and keep in container to toss in a salad or taco BUT I’m finding myself creating more recipes with the legs and thighs because ….OMG, so good!
Like many of the recipes that happen in Cocos Paleo Kitchen, this one is no exception. I opened the fridge and saw cilantro that should be used so I tossed it in the blender with a few other ingredients to marinate my chicken thighs in. Quick AND easy! I’m always trying to save time during the week so making the marinade up on a weekend prep day will free up time on a weekday evening. In fact, toss your thighs into the marinade in the morning before heading off to work or shuffling the kids off to school and you’re good to go for a quick meal that night.
I would love to hear from you all! Are you a dark or white meat fan? And were you ever like me …….tossing the skin too??? Do tell!
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 cup semi-packed cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper
- Place cilantro, olive oil, fresh lemon juice & garlic cloves into a small food processor or blender. Process for a minute or two until you've garlic & cilantro have become one with the liquids.
- In a bowl or ziploc bag, place chicken inside and pour your marinade (reserve a few tablespoons of marinade to drizzle on cooked chicken) in with the chicken. I like to gently massage the chicken with the marinade. Let sit for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay your chicken thighs, skin side up on a baking dish and sprinkle with a little salt & pepper.
- Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Check for internal temp reaching 165F. If not done, leave in for a few more minutes - checking as you go until it reaches the right temp. Drizzle some fresh marinade on top of each piece before serving 🙂
- *It's best to make this marinade and let chicken meld with it for at least one hour.