My hubby sure loves his pancakes AND his pumpkin flavor! One morning he suggests having pumpkin pancakes for breakfast and unfortunately, I didn’t have pumpkin on hand (I know….such a tragedy this time of year!). I decided to just wing it with the spices and add a topping that would allow additional pumpkin spice flavor. We were pretty pleased with the outcome.
I use Ottos Cassava Flour in this recipe and if you have “hung around me” for a while, you know that I use this flour quite a bit. As much as I love almond flour, I find this to be a little more versatile and more “flour” like. In fact, if you have recipes that you would like to use from your old files (pre paleo and/or grain-free), you can sub 1-1 with cassava flour. If you are new to cassava flour, head on over to their site and learn more about it —> Cassava Flour.
If you like fluffy pancakes and a pumpkiny-spice-flavor, you’ll love these. I know these would be delicious served with a dab of butter/ghee and pure maple syrup but this little topping ended up being a fun twist on flavor. I had some leftover topping so I put a dollop in my coffee the next morning and it was soooo good! I now make the topping on its own for a coffee “creamer” 🙂 Or you can slice up an apple and use as a dip! Have at it ……and have fun with it!
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp date sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 2 lg eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
- (Warm & mix syrup & cashew butter to combine, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon - taste ...add more if desired)
- Heat griddle or large pan - medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with cashew milk and pure vanilla extract, add to dry ingredients and incorporate.
- Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and pour on griddle/pan. When you start seeing bubbles, carefully flip to the other side and let cook another 4 minutes or so.
- Continue with remaining batter and serve with topping or pure maple syrup!
- I like to add chopped pecans for crunch and because I love the combination of pumpkin with pecans 🙂